History of Thanksgiving
The holiday of Thanksgiving itself has so much more to it than just eating turkey and the Thanksgiving Day parade. There are several interesting facts about Thanksgiving that many people do not know. It’s a great feeling when you truly know the history of the holiday we all celebrate each year.
Did you know?
- The Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving Day at Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted three days.
- Abraham Lincoln issued a ‘Thanksgiving Proclamation’ on third October 1863 and officially set aside the last Thursday of November as the national day for Thanksgiving.
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird of the United States.
- The Wampanoag Indians were the people who taught the Pilgrims how to cultivate the land.
For more interesting facts about Thanksgiving, visit: http://www.whsv.com/seasonal/misc/33852054.html